Author Topic: Saving/Sharing Toolbox items and Screens  (Read 1714 times)

mrticsay

• View Profile
Saving/Sharing Toolbox items and Screens
« on: December 02, 2007, 12:58:49 PM »
It would be nice to have toolbox items saved in such a way that they can be:
1) loaded into new layouts/tournaments without having to redefine them
2) changed in one place and updated easily where they are already used

I know #2 is probably a problem since each file maintains its own copy of everything.  But, if #1 were accomplished.  I could easily update existing layous as necessary.

The same request applies to screens (and possibly even screen sets).

I have a number of layouts that are used for different reasons.  As I continue to enhance my toolkit items and screens, I have to do a lot of work to replicate those changes into other layouts.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Saving/Sharing Toolbox items and Screens
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:39:19 AM »
The various template items (including rounds, sounds, events, etc) were purposely kept "separate" - so that editing one didn't affect saved tournaments.  For example, if a tournament only kept a "reference" to a specific rounds template, you could change only the rounds template and it would affect any tournaments that referenced that template.  This could be a problem if you changed a template referenced by a completed tournament, since it may no longer match what actually happened in that tournament.

As for #1, this is actually in-progress.  I started to implement some time ago a layout "import" mechanism, so you could import items from one layout into another.  It's actually a somewhat complicated procedure, since screens, cells, global property sets, and banner sets are referenced by the name you give them.  Importing layout items from a different layout can result in name collisions, and the import process has to deal with this.  Because of the difficulty in implementing this correctly, and the fact that the demand for it has been very low, it was never completed.  Since there's been a request, I'll make a note of it and see if I can complete it in the near future...