Author Topic: 3.7 BETA 1  (Read 18105 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 3.7 BETA 1
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 05:33:38 PM »
FYI, context menus and hotkeys only work for iframes in HTML screens.  I thought I had added it to both screen types but apparently I did not.  This is actually the way it currently works in version 3.4.3, too, so it's not really a change.  I will add for standard screens.  Hopefully this will eliminate the feeling that the app has stopped responding or has locked up.

Got it this time.  Thanks.  I'll check it out when I can.

I resent from a different email. let me know if you didnt receive it.

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2019, 06:36:30 AM »
Thanks Corey

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2019, 06:47:52 AM »
Fixed.  Works a lot better using the layout you sent.  Thanks again.

FYI, context menus and hotkeys only work for iframes in HTML screens.  I thought I had added it to both screen types but apparently I did not.  This is actually the way it currently works in version 3.4.3, too, so it's not really a change.  I will add for standard screens.  Hopefully this will eliminate the feeling that the app has stopped responding or has locked up.

Got it this time.  Thanks.  I'll check it out when I can.

I resent from a different email. let me know if you didnt receive it.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2019, 02:49:23 PM »
2. I had a weird 'bust out before rebuy period was over, and was prompted to rebuy' but subsequent busts were not prompted (still within the window and not exceeding the rebuy quota.

I definitely saw this, but after investigation, I discovered it was only happening when the busting player had reached their max rebuys.  Note that there are 2 quotas: per-player max and a total max.  If the total max is reached, the confirmation dialog will warn you that the max has been reached, but allow you to override it and rebuy players anyway.  If you bust out a single player and that player's individual max has been reached, you won't be prompted, which is what I was seeing (and is correct).  If you bust out multiple players at once, and at least one of them hasn't reached their max, you'll be prompted.

So it appears to be working as expected.  If you are able, could you verify?

I did change this, however.  I decided that the prompt to rebuy NOT appearing because the player reached their max rebuys felt inconsistent.  So if rebuys are enabled, the confirmation will now always appear even if the player(s) busting out has reached their max rebuys.  If you still choose to rebuy, the Rebuy Players dialog does hide ineligible players (but they can be unhidden).  This would at least make the experience consistent, and also convey to the user that the player has reached their max rebuys.

MotoguzziF91

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2019, 04:17:18 AM »
When exporting the stats as a CSV file, the German umlauts (ö ä ü) and the French special characters (é è ê à ë) and the € sign are not displayed correctly (see Appendix)
no problems with HTML

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »
Can you attach or send me a sample tournament file?

When exporting the stats as a CSV file, the German umlauts (ö ä ü) and the French special characters (é è ê à ë) and the € sign are not displayed correctly (see Appendix)
no problems with HTML

MotoguzziF91

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 11:17:59 AM »
Hi Corey,
I have sent you a tournament file by mail

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »
Got the email.  Thanks MotoguzziF91.

So when moving to Electron, I had to make some decisions about file encoding.  Previously, the Microsoft API I was using to read and write files essentially took care of encoding.  If the data needed encoding, it was encoded automatically, usually using UTF-16.

With Electron, I am able to encode however I want.  So I went with UTF-8, which is the most popular encoding format.  That file is correctly encoded in UTF-8.  The problem is Excel.  It doesn't recognize the file as being encoded with UTF-8, because the file doesn't have a BOM - or a "byte order marker".  This is a couple of characters at the start of the file that indicate the encoding.  But UTF-8 doesn't require a BOM, and in fact it isn't even recommended it be used.  So the file is encoded correctly, but Excel doesn't recognize it as being encoded at all.  Which is frankly very surprising to me.

If you want to see what I mean, you can use an app like Notepad++.   Open up the CSV file in Notepad++ and you'll see the characters are displayed correctly.  Click on the "Encoding" menu and you'll see that "Encode in UTF-8" is selected, indicating that Notepad++ recognized the file has been encoded in UTF-8.  If you select "Encode in UTF-8-BOM", save the file, and then open it in Excel, you'll see the characters are display correctly now.

So while technically not a bug, I'm not sure yet how I will move forward on this.  I might want to update the code to add the BOM anyway, or give an option in the preferences.

Hi Corey,
I have sent you a tournament file by mail

MotoguzziF91

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2019, 03:43:16 AM »
Thanks Corey,
This works with notepad ++, it is a bit awkward for me because I work with 4 csv files and macros in excel. But I can live with that.
I have sent you a mail with an error message concerning the stats. Should I post this here in the forum?

MotoguzziF91

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »
It works also if I export the stats directly into a .txt file and open it in Windows Notepad and save it as a .csv file with UTF-8-BOM encoding

Carlavatky

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 09:50:03 AM »
I went thru the exercise of building an all new Layout with a countdown and a main clock screen on my main work computer that has a widescreen (2560x1080) resolution. It all worked and looked great. When I loaded it into the system in my poker room with 1920x1080 displays and attempt to scale the layout it went widely wonky. I suspect the system just could shrink the display down to that scales for some reason. What is the general rule of thumb when it comes to layout creation like this?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 12:20:45 PM »
Already fixed the issue with column configurations, so don't worry about posting it.  It will be in beta 2, which should be released later today.

Thanks Corey,
This works with notepad ++, it is a bit awkward for me because I work with 4 csv files and macros in excel. But I can live with that.
I have sent you a mail with an error message concerning the stats. Should I post this here in the forum?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »
Good question.  The layout has evolved over the years but there are basically a couple of things to keep in mind.

First, the layout sizing is entirely down to the contents, with font size playing a fairly large role.

Second, on the Screen Properties dialog is a checkbox labeled Stretch layout.  If this is not enabled, your layout will be as wide as the contents require, which may mean it doesn't even fill the width or height of your screen.  If this checkbox is enabled, the layout will stretch to the width and height of your screen, if the contents are narrower or shorter than your screen.  Note that the layout is stretched by adding whitespace.  It just fills up the screen, it doesn't change the size of the contents.  This is the original way layouts worked.

Third is Layout Scaling, which was added in version 3.2.  To work properly, the layout must have an "optimal" width and height configured.  Then the entire layout is scaled to the size of your actual screen, keeping the aspect ratio the same.  This doesn't add whitespace, but resizes everything (larger or smaller) to fit your screen.  If your screen is a different aspect ratio than the original layout, some of the contents may bleed off the side or bottom of the screen, or alternatively some whitespace may be present.

Which method you use kind of depends, but there's no "official" guidance.  I would say if the layout was designed for the same resolution or one that's very close, enabling "Stretch layout" will probably be enough.  If it is significantly different, Layout Scaling will probably be better.  Both can be used together, too.  Best advice is to play with the settings a little bit and see how it goes.  If you've created your own layout, to use Layout Scaling you should have the Optimal Resolution set so the scaling feature knows best how to scale your layout.  Press the Settings button on the Layout tab to set it.

For your particular example, your layout was designed for 2560x1080, which is a 21x9 aspect ratio, but you're then using it on screen that has a 16x9 aspect ratio (1920x1080).  Scaling is going to reduce the width to 1920, but it will also reduce the height to keep the aspect ratio intact.  So it will end up at 1920x810, leaving 270 pixels of empty space at the bottom of the screen.  I'm not sure either option is going to work, and you may simply have to make some changes to the layout to get it to fit properly.

I went thru the exercise of building an all new Layout with a countdown and a main clock screen on my main work computer that has a widescreen (2560x1080) resolution. It all worked and looked great. When I loaded it into the system in my poker room with 1920x1080 displays and attempt to scale the layout it went widely wonky. I suspect the system just could shrink the display down to that scales for some reason. What is the general rule of thumb when it comes to layout creation like this?

Carlavatky

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2019, 08:03:34 PM »
Working on a layout and filter cells to "cells not in use on this screen errors with:
ReferenceError: theScreenName is not defined
    at LayoutTab.setCellBoxHandlers (LayoutPage:1638:45)
    at LayoutTab.updateToolbox (LayoutPage:2169:8)
    at LayoutTab.toolboxFilterChange (LayoutPage:912:8)
    at HTMLSelectElement.onchange (kDialog.html:1:3)

AppData: C:\Users\Carl Smith\AppData\Roaming
Arch: ia32
Chrome version: 73.0.3683.121
CPUs: {AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics}, {AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics}, {AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics}, {AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics}
Data Folder: C:\Users\Carl Smith\Documents\The Tournament Director 2
Date: 9:01:23 pm 10/21/2019
DB File: C:\Users\Carl Smith\OneDrive\Tournement Director\Data\db\td.db
DB Folder: C:\Users\Carl Smith\OneDrive\Tournement Director\Data\db
Electron version: 5.0.10
Home: C:\Users\Carl Smith
Hostname: Paula-PC
Install Folder: C:\Users\Carl Smith\AppData\Local\Programs\TheTournamentDirector
Language: en-US
License Info: +rN0lGaeRnRHbxWuqtYt5Nf39RxfNc/ZaX6MF4MvqHATcP9Zlnjke/LzpIQYVH8n6TILzed9ySbpMgvN533JJvO4xHQIG1c3tapxJCs5wN0=
Load: 0,0,0
Memory: 943,239,168 / 3,735,969,792
Node version: 12.0.0
OS Release: 10.0.17763
OS Type: Windows_NT
Platform: win32
Preferences File: C:\Users\Carl Smith\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\prefs.sav
Repo Config File: C:\Users\Carl Smith\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\repo.sav
Repo Folder: C:\Users\Carl Smith\OneDrive\Tournement Director\Data
Support Key: CA415DBBE242873D91446LEDE051AT36D4B4E2B7-31DE4129L
TD Language: en-us
TD Patch Level: null
TD Version: 3.7.0-beta.1
Temp directory: C:\Users\CARLSM~1\AppData\Local\Temp
User: Carl Smith
UserData: C:\Users\Carl Smith\AppData\Roaming\TheTournamentDirector
V8 version: 7.3.492.27-electron.0

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2019, 11:34:26 PM »
Thanks Carlavatky.  Got that one fixed in beta 2.

Beta 2 is out: https://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=5931.0