Author Topic: Mac/Linux Version  (Read 4808 times)

efdenny

• View Profile
Mac/Linux Version
« on: March 31, 2021, 11:20:40 AM »
Hey Corey,

Just wondering if you've made any headway on a potential Mac/Linux version of TD? Is it still something you are considering?

After this version is final, I will start to look more deeply into versions for Mac and Linux. 

Thanks, as always, for all of your hard work!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mac/Linux Version
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 04:37:47 PM »
Have I made any headway?  Unfortunately, no.  Is it still something I am considering?  Absolutely.

There are a number of barriers.  First, I'm unfamiliar with those operating systems.  I mean, I've touched Macs enough to get around, and I used to work in Linux (and many other *nixes over the years) quite a bit, but it has been a very long time.  Linux barrier to entry is just time to get familiar.  Mac barrier to entry is time plus certificate cost plus whatever else is needed to bundle the app so MacOS will allow its installation.  There is definitely a process.

The biggest roadblock right now is that the TD has been on a slight unexpected, unintended hold during late 2020 and early 2021.  I was definitely moving forward during the first half to 3/4 of 2020, but during the later months development work has tapered off quite a bit.  I think this was a product of my day job getting busier, working completely from home and all of the distractions that come with it, and general Covid-ness.  I'm trying to get it started back up at a good rate.

For anyone interested, I have done quite a few bug fixes, and I was about halfway through with incorporating CodeMirror into the application.  That's a stylized editor that allows formatting, colorizing, etc, for the built-in HTML editor (which I plan to extend to any other applicable editor, such as the formula editors).  It's a nice touch.  After that I'll start tackling actual new features.

efdenny

• View Profile
Re: Mac/Linux Version
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 05:06:59 PM »
Thanks, Corey, completely understandable.

Appreciate the update!