Author Topic: Any way to embed Google Sheet into a screen?  (Read 1259 times)

Mesnik44

• View Profile
Any way to embed Google Sheet into a screen?
« on: March 03, 2022, 11:45:23 AM »
I know this sounds weird, but I keep my league points and other information on Google Sheets.

Is there a way for me to display the sheet on say the Break screen? I've been struggling with this for a few days. I know I can paste a picture and make it the background, but what I am wanting is for it to be live.

Thanks in advance.
John

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to embed Google Sheet into a screen?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 06:50:35 PM »
Yep, it's possible.  I don't know how well it's going to turn out but you can certainly do it.  I've only tried this for a few minutes, using some personal documents and some public documents, and I've had mixed results.  Sometimes the sheet stays blank.  Sometimes it partially loads.  Sometimes it works fine.  With the debugger window open, I do catch some errors sometimes.  Errors in iframes are ignored by the TD, but they will be seen if the debugger is open.  It may explain why sometimes not all of the sheet loads properly for me.

Google has a page on how to embed a document in your web page.  The process is the same for the TD:
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/183965?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop#zippy=%2Cembed-a-document-spreadsheet-or-presentation

Scroll down to the "Embed files" section.  When you follow the steps, Google Sheets will give you a snippet of HTML.  Just put that into a cell and it should work (with caveats listed above).  By default the sheet rendered in a small panel, so I added some sizing styles to it.  Here is an example:

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ArenGPVp3y_syibisYiTnijo1N0kVECk6wOHd9vbUVM/preview" style="height: 200px; width: 1500px"></iframe>

Put that into a cell and you should see the sheet.  There are various ways to publish.  I've seen where the sheets edit menu is present, where it isn't present, where there is a "Published by Google Sheets" footer, where there isn't a footer.  You'll have to experiment to see what works best for you.

Mesnik44

• View Profile
Re: Any way to embed Google Sheet into a screen?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 10:52:31 AM »
Hi Corey,

Thank you.

That worked!