Author Topic: Setup & League question  (Read 1501 times)

Rob_V

• View Profile
Setup & League question
« on: October 26, 2022, 01:54:39 PM »
Hello all, we are using TD for our weekly game and want to start tracking the play.
I have used TD for random tourneys but not for tracking....so a few questions coming up...I hope someone clarify for me.

We play 2 days a week and track the winners each week by the prize pool.
The play starts in Oct and goes thru March.
End of the season, prizes are given out based on amount won.

We have people migrate in and out thru out the season.

A few questions
I assume that using a league would be the best way to do this?

I created a template that has the layout the way I want it, blinds and whatnot.
I saved this as my tourney template.

What is the process to start a new tourny every week? I assume From the game tab, I select New - then Create a new tournament using the following saved tournament as a template and use my template.

At the end do I need to save the tournament (I have autosave on)?

Also - if we decide to chop - I just saw that I can do ctrl+c and get to the chop screen.

I looked at the player stats screen and it looks like it showes everything in there which is great.
Is there anyway to edit that data?
For example, our last tourney, 1 & 2 chopped, but I dont see how I can edit that.

And finally, this will be the 4th time we are using this now, is there anyway to get the results of the first 4 tourneys into the league stats?

Thanks
Rob

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Setup & League question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 05:51:47 PM »
I assume that using a league would be the best way to do this?

You can certainly use a league but it's not required.  Leagues are provided in general for those who might be running more than one.

What is the process to start a new tourny every week? I assume From the game tab, I select New - then Create a new tournament using the following saved tournament as a template and use my template.

At the end do I need to save the tournament (I have autosave on)?

There are plenty of ways to start a new tournament, but they all ultimately boil down to the same thing: make sure you save each tournament in its own file.  A tournament is defined as a single file, so if you run 10 tournaments you should have 10 saved tournament files, each with its own filename.  You don't want to load up your saved tournament from last week, reset it, play a new tournament, and then just save it (without giving it a new filename).  That will overwrite last week's tournament.  If you're going to load a previous tournament and use it as a starting point, that's fine, but make sure you press Save As... on the Game tab and give it a new filename.  Do that right after you load the previous tournament so you don't accidentally save over the old one.

AutoSave is definitely a good thing, and you want to use it.  Think of it like having a backup.  99.9% of the time you won't need it.  But that one time you do need it you'll wish you had turned it on.  But as I said before, if you start a new tournament by loading a previously run tournament and resetting it, make sure you load the old tournament and immediately (as in "before you do anything else") press Save As... to save it using a new filename so you don't accidentally write over the previous tournament. This is especially true with AutoSave because resetting the tournament represents a change to the tournament that will cause AutoSave to automatically save it, so make sure you've changed its filename before that happens.

Is there anyway to edit that data?
For example, our last tourney, 1 & 2 chopped, but I dont see how I can edit that.

Yes.  You can load a saved tournament at any time and change it.  Stats don't accumulate, they are calculated whenever you want to see them.  That means if you change one of your tournaments, it will affect the calculations when you next view stats.

So for your example, load your last tournament and change the chop, then save it.  Then go back to the Stats tab and run the stats again.  You'll see it will reload the tournament you changed.  To edit an existing chop, load the tournament, go to the Prizes tab and press the Chops button.

And finally, this will be the 4th time we are using this now, is there anyway to get the results of the first 4 tourneys into the league stats?

Sure, but it's a manual process.  To do this you'll have to create each of the previous 3 tournaments, just like you would if you were about to run each one.  Then play them out by starting the tournament and busting players out in the right order.  In the end the main information will be correct (players busted in the right order, prizes awarded according to position).  Times won't be correct (your players will have busted out seconds or maybe minutes apart from each other), but that's usually not important.  The actual times will also be off, but that can be corrected.  For example, if you ran your first [mock] tournament right now, the tournament would start at 5:42 pm on Wed Oct 26 2022.  But your first tournament was actually (just as an example) run on Sat Oct 1 2022 at noon.  To fix that, go to the Players tab and press the "Time Shift" button.  Of course once you're done save your tournament.

Once you've done this for the first 3 tournaments, your stats should be "caught up".

RobertHowe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 06:39:21 PM »
Another NUB, stumbling around with how to get a tournament template to fully save the various sub-templates. 
My goal is step by step to build up various features or customizations as I play with the variations available.

But I'm "unclear on the concept" of when, for example, the prizes, the tables, the screens, or the players templates I've previously structured and individually saved get saved to the tournament template I intend to use, and/or when, on the games tab, I should use new/options vs load/options for a new tournament date.  Or maybe it's where the pieces get saved in relation to the tournament template?  I've now got dozens of testing stuff saved to avoid screwing the 8 or so actual tournaments run so far.

The other puzzlement is with extended display of the Tournament screen; the right click on laptop screen doesn't invoke a long menu where I can choose "screens" to change from seating arrangement to the clock, etc, but rather properties of characteristics of whatever settings tab is current.  Likewise, Hot keys functioning seems disabled, ctl-B does not invoke player list except when on the controls tab, or the cursor is on the extended display, and the numeric hot keys don't switch screens on the extended display, regardless of lock or unlock on the controls tab or cursor location.  So somewhere I've botched some setting(s), but which one(s)?

Fabulous program, with more options to play with at the outset than I need, so a file structure concept and roadmap would be a great assist for my learning curve.
Best
Rus

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 12:07:02 PM »
When you save a tournament, you're saving everything to do with that tournament.  That means you're saving the configuration you see on the Game tab, the Rounds schedule, the players, the prizes, the tables, the layout, the events, the chips, and the rules.  Additionally you're saving the current tournament state, which is each player's current status (not bought-in, playing, busted out, etc), the current round, tournament history, etc.  When you save your tournament, you should be able to exit the TD, restart the TD, load the tournament, and be exactly where you previously left off.  The only exception to this is the Layout.  There is a preference that controls whether or not your layout is saved with your tournament, and whether or not a tournament saved with a layout will have the layout automatically loaded or not.  This was done primarily to speed up loading of tournaments for stats.  If you always use the same layout, you can set a layout as your default layout (so that it is always loaded and ready when you start up the TD).  Then you can turn off the saving of layouts with tournaments.  In the end, loading a tournament is much faster, since it doesn't contain the baggage of a layout.

The main "parts" of a tournament can also be saved and loaded independently.  For example, you can load a rounds template at any time, even while you are running a tournament, without disrupting anything else.  That is, loading a rounds template will replace your current rounds configuration without changing your prizes, or tables, or players, or anything other part of your tournament.

The other puzzlement is with extended display of the Tournament screen; the right click on laptop screen doesn't invoke a long menu where I can choose "screens" to change from seating arrangement to the clock, etc, but rather properties of characteristics of whatever settings tab is current.

If you want to change screens directly from the main (Game) window, right click and move the mouse over the "Screens" option.  This will open a sub-menu with the various screens to choose from.

Likewise, Hot keys functioning seems disabled, ctl-B does not invoke player list except when on the controls tab, or the cursor is on the extended display, and the numeric hot keys don't switch screens on the extended display, regardless of lock or unlock on the controls tab or cursor location.  So somewhere I've botched some setting(s), but which one(s)?

Hotkeys work on the Game window at all times, UNLESS the Settings window is open.  The Settings window is modal, which means it takes control of the application and you cannot use the Game window until the Settings window is closed.  Your mouse doesn't "reach" the Game window when the Settings window is open.  Trying to click on the Game window while the Settings window is open will result in the title bar of the Settings window flashing and you'll hear your system default "gong" sound.  This is how all applications behave that utilize modal windows.  Close the Settings window and hotkeys should work just fine from the Game window.

Certain hotkeys will also work in certain places when the Settings window is open.  For example, function keys (F1 through F12) should work everywhere.  That's because function keys don't interfere with user input (you'll never need to press F12 when entering an Event Name, for example).  Other hotkeys will work with two caveats: they are disabled on Settings tabs that have inputs where you type a value, such as the Game tab.  If they were enabled here, then the hotkeys 1 through 9, which by default will switch the Game window to the corresponding screen, would cause the Game window to change when you typed a numeric value in one of the inputs.  Therefore hotkeys are disabled here (again except for the function keys).  Some other tabs don't have inputs, and so hotkeys wouldn't interfere with user input.  They will work here, but there is a preference that controls this, so you'll need to make sure the preference is enabled.  You'll find it on the Preferences tab in the Behavior category (on the left).  It's a checkbox about halfway down labeled Allow hotkeys on all Settings tabs that do not have inputs.

RobertHowe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 02:06:43 PM »
My mental fuzziness comes from creating a new template, then seemingly, upon using the template for a new tournament, finding that many of the settings created, or seemingly created and saved, are not in the new tournament initiated from the saved template.  Specifically, prizes, tables, and tournament screen layout reverted to the defaults.  So somewhere I'm not following the right sequence, even though I save to a new saved file name each time.
So I'm saying to self, "duh" but not sure where I'm screwing up.